Gifts from IRAs: Qualified Charitable Distributions (aka charitable IRA rollover gifts)

Make a gift from your IRA through a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD) and the transferred amount will be excluded from your taxable income. If you are age 72 or older, this QCD can satisfy all or a portion of your required minimum distribution.

For your gift to be recognized as a QCD:

  • You must be age 70 ½ or older at the time of your gift
  • The transfer must be sent directly from your IRA to Northeastern
  • Your total IRA gift(s) cannot exceed $100,000
  • Your gift must be outright

For your gift to qualify for the current tax year, instruct your IRA administrator to mail or arrange a direct transfer to Northeastern before December 31. Please also authorize your IRA administrator to identify you as the donor.

Gifts by mail should be addressed to:

Northeastern University
Office of Gift Planning
402 Columbus Place
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115-5005

Attention: Carolyn Buckley-Cooper

For more information, contact Patty Boutiette, Director of Gift Planning, at 617.373.2030 or


Gifts of Stock


To have a gift of stock electronically transferred:

1. Complete and submit the online form, or mail a transmittal letter from your broker to:

Northeastern University
Attention Noreen Gallagher
402 Columbus Place
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115-5005

Alerting Northeastern that the stock transfer is taking place allows us to properly identify, direct and acknowledge your gift.

2. Instruct your broker to transfer shares to Northeastern University at:

Northern Trust
50 South La Salle Street, Chicago Ill 60603

DTC #: 2669
Institutional ID #: 26724

Agent bank #: 20290

Northeastern Account #: 44-71943

 Att: Courtney L. Cooper: tel:  +1 312-557-1926    email:

Reference: Donor Name (your name)

If your broker has questions about making an electronic gift of securities, please have your broker contact Noreen Gallagher,, 617.373.2793.

Note: It is important that your broker does not sell the securities and send us a check. If the broker does this, the tax advantages of making a gift of appreciated stock may be eliminated.


To transfer shares held in certificate form:

1. Complete and submit the electronic transmittal form.
2. Send a signed stock power for each certificate (do not complete power)
3. In a separate envelope, send the unendorsed stock certificates to:

Northeastern University
Attention: Noreen Gallagher
402 Columbus Place
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115-5005

Note: If stock is held by more than one person, both must sign names exactly as they appear on the certificate.

Should you have any questions about transferring securities or other gift-related matters, please contact Noreen Gallagher, 617.373.2793.

Gifts of Mutual Funds

Most mutual funds can be transferred directly to our broker Northern Trust.

Your broker should contact Courtney L. Cooper at Northern Trust to assist with the transfer of Mutual Funds.


Phone: 312-557-9418

Please note that transferring mutual funds can take on average 10 business days to complete.